Delaware Valley School District

236 Route 6 and 209, Milford, PA 18337

Educating for Life's Journey




Many questions arise about the procedures that address expenses relating
to medical situations. The following is an attempt to clarify the circumstances
as outlined in the insurance regulations:


All owners of motor vehicles in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

are required by law to purchase and maintain automobile insurance.

The laws relating to automobile insurance coverage are complied in

the Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle Financial Responsibility Law of 1984-

commonly referred to as the “PA No Fault Law”.


First party benefits are a mandatory coverage. This is a basic no-fault

type of medical insurance for your own medical bills. The minimum

required by law is $5,000. Regardless of who is at fault for the accident,

the medical bills will be paid through your First Party benefits coverage.

Using this coverage will not affect your rates or premiums in any way.


The priority of benefits or the order as to which party’s auto policy provides
the benefits to the injured party is as follows:

First Student has own auto policy and is a named insured

under that policy.


Second Student is covered under parent’s policy, whether or not

old enough to drive, as a “resident relative”. If there

should be a case when you as the parent or guardian do

not have auto insurance, the laws states that any resident

relative in the household who carries auto insurance

would file the medical bills. If the medical bills go above

the policy limit- they will have to be submitted to student’s health

insurance. There is no recourse beyond this step.


Third The Owner of the Vehicle the student occupied at the time

of the accident.


Note: First party benefit coverage cannot be stacked between priority levels.
Once coverage under the first applicable policy has been exhausted, claimant may

not seek additional first party benefits from other policies at lower levels.

In summary, if someone in the household has auto insurance please contact your

automobile insurance company immediately and have this incident on file with them
as they will be able to assist you on how to file all medical bills. If there is no auto
insurance in the household, please contact the Business Office for information on
processing the medical bills through the auto insurance of the owner of the vehicle
that the student occupied at the time of the accident.


If you need any further assistance please feel free to contact the
Business Office at 570-296-1806.